Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas, everyone! Or, for those who don’t celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays! This will probably be a short entry, as I’m sure most of us are rushed today. I still have presents to wrap! And to make. Yikes.

I decided Christmas would be a good time to share several Perry-related things I’ve done over the past weeks. First, this is a trailer I made at the beginning of the month to promote my latest Perry story, The Broken Ties.


 
This is the story I mentioned in my last fanfiction post. So far I’ve just uploaded chapter 4 and it’s moving along very well. I’m happy with it and I hope my readers are too, despite how unusual it is (or in spite of it, even).

As you all know, I love Hamilton Burger. I wish he had a larger fanbase. I’d been considering writing a sort of essay on why he’s a wonderful character, and why the put-downs he sometimes gets from some Perry fans really aren’t fair (and often don’t have much, if any, basis in fact), for quite some time. For some reason, it was watching The Lonely Eloper that spurred me to actually get it done. I wrote this for a community at Livejournal.com that was specifically created for characters who are often misunderstood or outright detested: http://hated-character.livejournal.com/438282.html

On websites such as Livejournal, as well as on message boards and even here at Blogger (albeit to a lesser extent), people often like using little pictures called avatars or icons on their profiles or in their posts and comments. These pictures can be anything that represents the user or something or someone they like. I’m nuts about them. As you can see, I use an icon of Hamilton on my account here at Blogger. I made it myself, taken from my lovely copy of The Twice-Told Twist on the 50th Anniversary Edition DVD set.

I made many other Perry icons as well. Many are for my own amusement, but I wanted to have something that the mainstream fans would enjoy too. I took some nice pictures of the other characters and crafted some other icons. They’re all simple, mostly with just the coloring and focus slightly adjusted. Oftentimes, icons are very fancy. Aside from the fact that I don’t have the skills needed to make fancy icons, I think these look better the way they are. I only even put text on one of them. They are here: http://insaneladybug.livejournal.com/327159.html I think the icons of Della are my favorites after the ones of Hamilton. I’m also happy I managed to get in one of Steve.

I should probably mention, no copyright infringement is intended in the least. These are a non-profit celebration of the show and its characters. And all images were taken directly by me. If anything, I hope the pretty icons encourage people to buy the DVDs wherever possible. The image quality is just gorgeous!

(A few pictures were also taken from a couple of season 1 episodes available for streaming on CBS.com. However, I think those are only open for people in the U.S. to watch.)

I hope Livejournal is in a cooperative mood if anyone clicks these links! I plan to back up the icons and my essay/defense of Hamilton elsewhere, perhaps on Dreamwidth.org.

Once again, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you! Next week I plan to kick off the New Year by doing some more episode reviewing. I’ve seen some season 8 gems that deserve the spotlight!

No comments:

Post a Comment